Monday, May 10, 2010

why am i here?












Two weeks into my Yellowstone adventure and five weeks since I left home, I have frequently considered why I am here. I've concluded it is because of my dad.

As a young child, I followed him whenever I could. He was a hard worker and had a keen wit. He also praised children for their work and there was always work for everyone on a tobacco farm. His tasks were more interesting to me than my mother's work because his was outdoors. While mother did work hard on the farm too, she was primarily responsible for the meals and the running of the household. I never cared for housework. Since I was always tagging along with my dad whenever he'd let me, he began introducing me and my siblings by saying, "I have one son, one daughter and one tomboy." That established my difference at a very young age and I liked it.

Daddy did not divide work according to gender.... at least in my case. I was the baby, so perhaps I wasn't as good at standing all day handing three leaves at a time to a stringer (Miss Claude) who always nudged me to hurry up. So, I was expendable in the barn workforce and was given the job of tractor driver. I was young but wanted that praise for a job well done, so I did everything I could to get the slides of tobacco safely from field to barn without turning them over in the BIG mud holes on the way. This has influenced my resistance to labeling any work by gender. If I want to do it and I can find a way to do it, I will. Why should I not do a task because it is labeled "men's work"? I don't particularly like being considered eccentric, but I think this is a foolish division.

Another thing he said about me, "If you want her to do something, tell her she can't do it." I don't know if he was recognizing an innate trait or if his saying that was a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I have loved a challenge all my life.

So, here I am in Yellowstone National Park for five months. I find myself in the company of many others of all ages from across the country as well as other countries. It is amazing to be with this mix of people who are all here for the adventure. I sit in the employee dining room (enjoying every meal, whatever is offered, because I don't have to cook or clean up after!) I sit wherever there is a seat and immediately a conversation begins with hi, what's your name, where are you from, is this your first season (many answer no, 5th, 20th, etc.). There is something about being here that eliminates barriers of age, size, gender and background. People who are shunned in many settings are welcomed to the table here. No judgement, much camaraderie, loud conversation and good fun. Much comparison of what we have seen, especially animals and where they were. I reported at dinner the day I saw a moose and the next morning met a dorm mate who was headed out to the area to try to see it. We all share a love for this place and a sense of wonder that we are here.

Have not heard one conversation about religion or politics or running down another person. Not sure it gets better than that!

Everything I've heard about my work place, reservations, is positive. There is no pressure to sell, though we are considered salespeople. It's all about helping the "guests" find the experience they want to have in Yellowstone. The supervisors are there to help you help the guest, not to catch you in errors. May be the best work situation anywhere.....especially considering that we all get to live here for the season.

To many people back home, I am a brave woman to drive west alone and work in Yellowstone for the summer. To everyone here, I am simply another person to get to know who is doing what they are doing. Nothing novel about it. Everyone here is exploding some myth about what someone their age or gender or other divisive label should do.

Gotta love being here! Thank you Daddy for those life affecting comments! I appreciate being uniquely me more than ever.

Thanks for your company!
Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mom,
    I totally get your story. I loved when Granddaddy said anything positive to me, even though I did not get to enjoy that many years as you. He would be very proud of you as am I! So glad that your experience has been positive there! Very happy for you. Sounds like you have found a great niche. Love you and miss you.
    ~toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Elizabeth,
    It sounds like quite an adventure. I too am on an adventure....a very different kind for sure. Living in the city is a challenge and one that I am enjoying. A very different kind of energy. I love following your journey. Keep up the good work and come home safe.
    love
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear from you! Glad you made it safely - yes, you are a brave woman. What a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete