Thursday, February 11, 2010

Prologue










"What a pleasant life might be had in this world by a handsome, sensible old lady of good fortune, blessed with a sound constitution and a firm will!"
Jane Austen


Day one of the blog of an atypical 68 year old woman, or I like to think so. Grew up on NC tobacco farm, mom to 2, enrolled in college at age 43, earned UVA Ph.D. at age 59, grandma to 3, retired from university as assistant professor, travel, paint, garden and into many creative interests. Impetus for blogging is my summer plans. If you follow along, you'll read my take on "everything."
I paint, some of my work is posted on my web site: www.elizabethtuttle.com You can be sure that whatever I'm current working on will appear on this blog.
Status today, there is almost 2 feet of snow on the ground, but sun is shining through blue skies. A chair with an almost finished new caned bottom is waiting for me to complete the last of 7 passes. Painting has been on hold for a couple of weeks, so I'm pulled back to it. However, I've just finished a quilt for grandson 2 and have jumped into another. Am repairing an old ragged quilt my grandmother made and decided to make a new top to repair one side of an also ragged quilt my mother made. The "dining room" is a disaster, but there's no one but me to care and I don't much. 
Having a creative bent is fun.....BUT! I am confounded by my creative impulses. Constantly drawn by new works or projects or just new challenges, I dither about often with lots of energy but not able or wiliing to focus on one project very long. Is that creative energy or just ADHD? Works for me wonderfully OR paralyzes me.  I need at least 4 of me to get what I want to do done.
The woodstove has warmed things up, so time to get to work.
Thanks for your company! Elizabeth

6 comments:

  1. Definitely did NOT post the preceding at 5:22 am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting...looking foward to reading about your BIG adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we will enjoy your adventures along your journey whether at your home base or on the road.
    proud of you, cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to travel out west...Now, I can - albeit vicariously!

    Definitely looking forward to the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....this should be very interesting....truly looking forward to it.....I know you will have a great time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a blog and lots of photos....can't wait

    ReplyDelete